Thursday, February 21, 2013

Whitefish Point in Winter

After leaving Tahquamenon Falls, we decided to head up to Whitefish Point since we were in the area.  I'd never been there in the winter either so figured it would be a nice photo op.  I was really surprised at how well plowed the road was all the way out to the point.   It was really nice.

As we pulled up, it was clear there was nobody around.  Looking toward the lake from the parking lot it seemed like the snow was drifted pretty high, and it was, but it wasn't as imposing as it first appeared once we got out of the car.



Lake Superior was frozen.  I wasn't really surprised by that as I've heard and seen pictures of ice along the shore.  These old pier pilings are usually in the water.



Here, you can see the frozen lake.  The mounds of ice are caused by pressure under and on the ice.  I walked out to the ridge you see on the horizon.


As I got close, I started moving pretty slowly.  This is what awaited me.  This drop off was fifteen feet or so.  Maybe more.  The ice below looked very thin, though compared to what I was walking on, a foot of ice would have seemed thin.  I wasn't concerned about walking out to the ridge.  Once I got there, got a bit more nervous.  More for fear of  slipping and falling over the edge than anything else.  The dark area on the horizon is open water.



Looking to the left from where I was standing.  What you can't see, and what this picture can't convey is just how hard the wind was blowing and just how cold it felt.  To say I was cold is an understatement.  The wind was piercing even with my scarf wrapped around my head, it wasn't enough.



Looking back at the lighthouse as I returned. 

This picture was taken from the seat of my car.  I could have positioned myself better, but by the time I got back, all I wanted to do was crank up the heat.  I rolled down the window, took the picture and rolled it back up again. You can see they boarded up a number of the buildings for the winter.

If you get a chance, stop by anytime of year.  It really is a beautiful place.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it was pretty cold that day. You were much braver than me as far as venturing out on the ice.

    ReplyDelete