Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Along the Appalachian Trail

While in Pennsylvania I decided I wanted to take a short hike on the Appalachian Trail.  I headed to Duncannon which was the closest place the trail passes to where I was staying.



My uncle and I headed up to Hawk Rock overlooking Duncannon and the confluence of Juniata and Susquehanna Rivers.  Hawk Rock is about 750 feet above the valley.  I'm not sure how far it is from the trailhead which was off near the buildings in the center right.  The hike has a lot of ups and downs with the biggest elevation change in the last quarter of a mile up to Hawk Rock.  Just to past this vantage point heading south the trail levels out and runs along the ridge of mountain. 



The bridge in the center of the picture crosses the Juniata River where it enters the Susquehanna River.



Sherman Creek which feeds into the Susquehanna.



Another view of Duncannon nestled along the Susquehanna.    Lightning Guider sled used to be built in the town, but the factory closed in 1990.

No comments:

Post a Comment