Saturday, September 1, 2012

Jackson Hole area



Crossing the mountains south of Jackson, Wyoming.



One of the things I wanted to do was try to find a place called Munger Mountain.  My father and I had climbed to the top of it one morning while on our trip out west in 1979.  I remembered it was across the river from our campsite.  My GPS got me in the general vicinity, but there was no campground and it kept directing me down a dirt road.  This is what I remembered from my childhood.  I didn't know if this was actually the right mountain or not.



It was basically across the road from this.  I remember climbing the hill, looking back into the campground which was parked in a grove of trees.  This too matched my memory, but there was no campground here.  I asked around and found that yes, there used to be a campground on this site, but it had gone out of business was now home to a sportsman's club.

I also found a guide to the trailhead for Munger Mountain.  It was on the dirt road at the spot where I turned around.  I had planned on hiking to the top, but it was late in the day and it was in the mid 90s.  I thought I'd do the hike the next morning, but that ended up being a wash.

I'm amazed that after all these years, I was able to find the spot just by driving down the road. 



Just north of Jackson, Wyoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment