Sunday, August 14, 2011

Grand Island East Channel Lighthouse

My original plan had been to head to Fayette State Park and do some photography there. I had hoped to camp at Tahquamenon Falls and Fayette, but couldn't find a site to set up my tent. That turned out to be a good thing since it started raining and my tent leaks. I spent most of the night sleeping in my car outside of Manistique. After checking the weather, I saw that it appeared the only part of the state where it wasn't raining was along the shore of Lake Superior so I headed up to Munising.

This is Grand Island, just north of Munising. The Grand Island East Channel Lighthouse was constructed in 1868 and deactivated in 1908. It has been restored, but maintains it's rustic look. The lighthouse and grounds are privately owned and not open to the public

No comments:

Post a Comment