Sunday, October 13, 2013

Richmond Field

It has been awhile since I've flown or even visited the field where I flew sailplanes.  I decided a couple of weeks back to drive out and see what was happening. 



After clearing it with the people in charge, I drove down to the far end of the runway and pulled off to get some pics.  While I was down there I figured I'd get a pic of both of my favorite things.



Richmond Field is located about 2 miles southeast of Gregory, Michigan.  The grass runway is 2471 feet long and 100 feet wide and has an elevation of 921 feet. 



It is privately owned by SEMSA (South East Michigan Soaring Association) who in turn leases it to Sandhill Soaring Club who uses it for soaring activities.



Here, the club Piper Pawnee tows the Schleicher K13 into the air.



Most take offs are from north to south if the wind isn't too strong as there are more options in case of a rope break or power failure.



In the background you can see the windsock and hangars.



Climbing out.



A view of the K13 as she passes overhead.



Off into the grey, overcast day.  Ultimately, it cleared up nicely and I suspect it was a great day for soaring.



Of course, I had to take a couple of pictures of my car.  Here I was messing around with the polarizing filter.



From where I was standing, I could either darken the windshield or the side of the car, but not both.



While waiting for the glider to return this plane did a flyby.



The Pawnee comes in to land.



Followed a while later by the K13.



Moments from touchdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment