Sunday, May 20, 2012

Lake Michigan, 2-25-12

At the end of February, my friend and I decided to head to St. Joseph, Michigan to do some photography. In a rarity for this past winter, there was snow on the ground and the wind off the lake made it bitterly cold.
This is the tug Alice E. laid up for the winter with the Defiance tied up beside her.



After cresting the dune, and approaching the lake, this is what awaited.



Near the waterline.   



The waves were taller than me.  It is the first time that I've been in the presence of waves that large.



The St. Joseph lighthouse.



The same position shot horizontally.


I zoomed in a little bit.



There was a lot of ice coating the walkway.  It had not only coated  the walking surface, but the railings as well.



The blowing wind formed little icicles that were far from vertical.



We walked out to the end of the area with the railing, but both of us were smart enough to not go any further.  It was treacherous enough as it was.



Heading back to the car.



Afterwards, we headed to the South Haven Lighthouse.



The walkway was wet, but wasn't really slippery.


Both the north and south pier lights.  The waves in the channel were pretty big and were washing over the piers at times.

1 comment:

  1. This was one of the points where I was actually wondering what the heck I was doing somewhere. Before I took up photography in earnest, I would have never in a million years gone out on an icy pier.

    ReplyDelete