Sunday, September 13, 2009

Between Monroe and Dundee

Between Monroe and Dundee there is a bridge. The road is lowered to go underneath the bridge. In all the time that I've passed under it, I thought it was an abandoned roadway. The bridge is old and in poor repair. The bridge has some features you don't really see on modern construction.




The bridge crosses the road at an angle and has these, I don't really know what you'd call them, parts that stick out so they're perpendicular to the road.




On each side there is what appears to be a tunnel alongside the roadway. At first I thought that these were for foot traffic to pass under the bridge. I was wrong. They are open on one end and on the other, as pictured here, only the upper part is open.


There were stairs to to the top and this is what I found there. The track appears to still be in use as looking the other way, the signal lights were on.



This is from just inside the other end of the tunnel depicted above. Here we can see mineral deposits hanging down from the ceiling. I don't know what sort of material it is.



This is a view of the underneath of the bridge. You can see that the concrete has fallen away in places exposing the steel structure which has begun to rust. I don't know the actual condition of the bridge, but I suspect it will cost plenty if it ever needs to be repaired.

No comments:

Post a Comment