Friday, August 9, 2013

Engineer's Day at the Soo Locks

I went to Engineers Day at the Soo Locks. I try not to take too many pictures of boats. There are others who do so much better than I do and I have mentioned, they are not the focus of this blog. I share these pictures because I was able to get to images from certain angles, and of things, that I wouldn't normally be able to.
The Lee A. Tregurtha repositioned from the north wall to the south to allow some visitors to tour her.



Standing on the doors at the end of the lock.



The Tregurtha slows to a stop and moors along the wall.



The walkway across the end of the lock.



Up close and personal.



Downbound.



The John D. Leitch ties up before locking down.



A sign showing how efficient shipping is.



The Lee A. Tregurtha underway passing Mission Point.



Ships passing at Four Mile Beach.



There are boat fans of all ages.



The Edwin H. Gott at Mission Point.



Nearing the locks.



The power plant in Sault Ste. Marie.



A busy day at the locks.  I don't recall the name of the small craft on the right, but here the American Spirit leaves the locks while the Alpena on the right and the Edwin H. Gott on the left wait to enter.



Clear sailing.



The Alpena enters the lock.



Followed by the Gott.  The Gott is one of 13 1,000 foot vessels plying the Great Lakes.



Two more ships approaching as the Gott and Alpena wait to leave the locks.



The Gott out of the locks and heading for Whitefish Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment