Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Whitefish Bay

I arrived at Whitefish Point shortly after a storm passed.  The air was hot and it was muggy.  Additionally, the mosquitoes were the worst I can remember encountering.  But I braved it all for these images.  I met fellow photographer Ken there and we headed to the beach to get some pictures.


 
This cumulonimbus cloud was catching the setting sun.


 
In the opposite direction the sun was setting.  I caught this ship sailing off into Lake Superior.  Some sharp-eyed boatnerds told me it was the Algoma Montrealis.



I turned back and saw this.  I'd moved down the beach a little and these pilings served to create some foreground interest.



This is essentially the same shot with a little different work done in post. 



The short boardwalk behind the lighthouse provided this view. 



Just a quick shot of some of the branches of the trees at the raised platform at the end of the boardwalk.



After that, we headed out to Whitefish Point.  The actual point.  In all the times I've been to Whitefish Point Lighthouse, I've never actually gone out to the point.  We couldn't get to the waters edge because the area is the nesting ground for an endangered bird.  We didn't linger too long because the mosquitoes were incredibly bad and even though we'd put on bug spray, and reapplied it after taking the boardwalk behind the complex, it seemed to be losing its effectiveness rapidly.



Heading back towards the lighthouse I stopped for this shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment