Saturday, December 4, 2010

Day Six - The Linn Cove Viaduct

The Linn Cove Viaduct was the last part of the Blue Ridge Parkway constructed. It was constructed around Grandfather Mountain so that it wouldn't damage the unique and fragile ecosystem found there.

This day was one of the more anticipated portions of my trip. I've seen pictures of it and it is really a thing of beauty. It is almost a work of art. I also planned on spending some time at Grandfather Mountain.


First view of the Viaduct.











Starting across.



Crossing the Viaduct.



On the south side of the viaduct, there is a gift shop/information station. It was closed when I got there. I took a short walk down the path that leads underneath the bridge and took a couple of pictures. It is an easy 5-10 minute walk. When I returned, the shop was just getting ready to open, but since I had a lot to do this day, I didn't wait around.



No comments:

Post a Comment